Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reboot..

I had tried giving blogging a shot back in 2009. The intent back then was to chronicle my understanding of the electoral process, through its twists and turns. I wrote one post but never got around to writing more. I guess i got into the act far too late, elections came and went, and some events in life conspired to keep me away from this. Above all, must confess, that doggedness or even persistence is not really one of my biggest virtues. 

Anyways, The buzz of elections is in the air again. In this country it almost seems like nobody wants 2013, this is merely a year we need to cross, to wait out, to get to 2014 and the elections, so much so that it seems we have given up on 2013. 

So some free time in my hand and all this buzz in the air got me back to the thought of giving this another go. The talk by Anand.S of Gramener during datameet,Bangalore was also a catalyst. Data is a tool I intend to invoke a lot this time around, to try to understand a bit more about how all of this works. 

Now even though the countdown is well under way, the elections for the Indian Parliament (Lok Sabha) are still a year away (as per schedule) . There will be a few skirmishes before the big one and the elections for the state of Karnataka, where I happen to live, is one of them. Karnataka Vidhan Sabha polls will be held on the 5th of May, and analysis of this is where I intend to focus my efforts over the next one month. 

Before I get into this tough a couple of disclaimers are due here. Firstly, I am no expert, more like a student myself. The intent is to learn more, about something I care about, and the blog is more like a tool to document this. Any pointers to factual mistakes made are more than appreciated, that is the whole point of putting it out there. Similarly criticism of ideas or opinions expressed is welcome. 
Secondly, most of the data I intend to use comes from the public domain, mostly from the Election Commissioner of India Website. The process of converting these to excel is manual  and errors do creep in. Please do point me to any obvious ones. Also more than happy to share the excel files if someone wants to do their own analysis. Once again, please note that there might be some errors due to manual conversion from ppt to excel

With that its time to get things started. Where we are coming from is usually a good starting point in understanding where we are going and a quick look at the History of Karnataka may be useful.






No comments:

Post a Comment